Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hello, my name is Katie, and I sleep on a twin sized bed.

So, I've realized recently that it may be kind of odd that I'm nearly 28 and still sleeping on a twin mattress. It's never bothered me before, as it's all I've known, and in fact I have preferred it so far in my life. Any bigger bed makes me feel lost, like I can't get comfortable unless with little effort I am able to reach out on either side of myself an touch the edge of the mattress. Why this is my preference I couldn't say, but so it is. Plus my mattress is super comfortable and somewhat of a point of pride-I bought it at a great price from an unhappy mattress dealer. Which is another story for another time, but it's not my fault that you mismarked it and then didn't want to lose the sale!

Back to the point at hand, so here I am, an adult women in her late (cringe) twenties sleeping on the same sized bed she slept on at 2. It occurred to me that this is almost symbolic. I've never needed any larger of a bed, because there is no Mr. Katie to occupy the other side. I wouldn't have pictured myself at 28 as single-no, in fact I was one of those girls who entered college really looking for that "Mrs." degree not even determined to finish should I meet Mr. Right along the way. That changed sometime within my freshman year when I realized there was much more to life. But still, I didn't imagine that ten years later I would still be sleeping on a twin bed. I'm not complaining; I enjoy my single life most (okay, at least half....or a quarter....) of the time. There is so much you can do single that you can't do while married, and I really do appreciate that fact. I do, however, want to be married someday in the not too distant future.

So, I got to thinking. Could it be like the "Field of Dreams" movie, "if you build it, they will come!"? If I buy a full, or queen mattress, does the likelihood that I'll find my soul mate increase? Does having that empty side of the bed, just waiting to be filled by a husband, draw that husband to me? I can see the online dating add now: "Single, 28-year-old woman, WITH A QUEEN SIZED BED...seeks single man between the ages of 28 and 35...". The problem with that is that a woman who does not intend to share a bed until marriage should probably not mention said bed in a dating advertisement lest she get off on the wrong foot. Hmm.

Anyway, this is what my mind has been mulling over the last day or so. It could be that I'm now approaching the age where I might start to consider lying about my age. I might just go ahead and buy that queen sized bed for good measure....and sleep on it horizontally just to prove you can thoroughly enjoy a big girl bed even when you're single!

No comments: